Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Helsinki, Finland -July 2011



Helsinki Finland, Not much to say for a little harbor city located on the Gulf of Finland and the arm of the Baltic Sea. This place had a lot to offer for someone's first time in Europe. Landing around 9 in the morning I got to the hotel and dropped off all my bags. Being on a plane for 14 hours made me not wanna even think about just sitting around. Taking a taxi from the Airport hotel to the city was about 30 euros, but it was worth the day trip. The cab dropped me off at the Finnish National Theatre and Aleksis Kivi statue in Rautatientori (Above). Which was in the general square of the city. Right across the street was the bustling train station. Nothing like Grand Central Station back home, but this unique european building standing just as it would if it were decades ago. The people bustled thru the main shopping complexes around the station. Walking around the different stores I got a feel for the Scandinavian culture and style. Not much different from Americans. The heighten need for a fast eat and the "poppy" cool style that every young person wants to be apart of.



An hour or two of walking around and getting a feel for the main shopping district of Helsinki I decided to stop for a beer. It was around 12 o clock on that Sunday and It was aggravating at first trying to find a place that was open. Even though it does make sense for a bar to be opened late on a Sunday, That didn't stop my want for freedom for an alcoholic beverage without question of age. Asking for a Finish beer I received Karhu which was a very good choice. Besides everyone else in the Cafe looking at me as if I was an alcoholic drinking so early in the day, The freedom of having that beer with out any question was worth all the stares and wonders. Besides my big camera and backpack probably gave away that I wasn't from around there.



Making my way to the western side of the city I stopped to appreciate the rich architecture, from the rigid columns that inhabit every buildings entrance to the gargoyles and rooftop fixtures. Even the cars looked a bit funny. Thinking to my self "If someone was caught driving something like that back home they'd get shit on". Finding myself at the Esplanadi Park, A long green stretch of grass and trees centered between buildings of all different colors. This park was very narrow and it leads from the center of Helsinki's shopping district to the Harbor. Within reach of statues with bird crap drooping down its head I started to think back about those cars I saw earlier. Rows of benches with interesting figures and tourists from all parts of the world inhabited the area.



One thing I learned being in Finland, Is that throughout Scandinavia Reindeer is the number one thing to eat. The minute I reached town I remembered seeing signs in restaurant windows with Reindeer Specials from the menu. I decided that I wasn't going to leave here without trying it. At the end of Esplanadi Park it takes you to markets right by the water (Gulf of Finland). In these markets you find your everyday souvenirs, fur hats and coats, wooden art and fresh seafood. As you walk by them they don't get into your face like they would on Canal street. In all most Finish people don't know very good english. But once you settle down for a price all of a sudden its like magic, These finish market people can talk better english than one of your high school english teachers. Making my way thru the crowds of flocking tourists off of cruise ships and boats getting a piece of Finland to bring back home with them I saw a sign for a Ferry. Being a curious person that I am I decided to check out where it takes you.



Asking the woman at the ferry station where the boat takes you I found out about Suomenlinna Sea Fortress. Located 10 minutes by boat in the Gulf of Finland/Baltic Sea lies numerous islands that were used in war. Built in 1748 under command of Augustin Ehrensvard.  Now a days its the number one host for tourists who come to Helsinki. It's a great day trip to see the different buildings and the fortress walls. Even check out the museum of War that describes in better detail of the Finnish War and how the Fortress played a role in it. Many families like to have picnics right on the water over looking the cruise ships. Many of the buildings are restored and theres even a jail. I wasn't sure if it was an old jail or even one built a few years ago. I didn't come to Finland to tour a prison so I didn't ask for more information. 



After taking a few pictures of the Fortress. I decided to take the ferry back to the main dock. A short 10 minute boat ride got me right back to where I was. Getting off the ferry I noticed a big huge structure, overpowering  from this hill. I decided to get a better look at it. It looked like a church, but what was it forsure? How long has it been here for? All these questions filled my mind while taking a what seemed to be long hike up to it. After getting to the top I found out that it was indeed a church. The Uspenski Cathedral was built from 1862- 1868. It is dedicated to the Dormition of the Theotokos (The Virgin Mary). Going inside was like going back in time. With the stained glass windows and gold contour. I walked outside of the church to find an elevated view of the factory and working district of the city.



Strolling back to the harbor and markets. I caved in and decided to buy a Finish souvenir. When will I ever be in Helsinki again I asked myself. On that note I purchased a silver plate to hold coins in. It says Finland on it and I use it often to put my loose change in. I need to put it somewhere why not trust a Scandinavian silver plate. After spending on a souvenir my stomach began to growl. In my book thats when I know I'm starving. That's also when I remembered that I had to have some of that reindeer. Along the water there is small little cheap Finish food to try. Reindeer with potatoes and a beer is what I went with. Sitting out looking over the water and buildings was great. Besides all those flocking seagulls. Last thing I wanted was for them to shit on me, or my Reindeer.



The Reindeer was actually very good. Tasted very much like Sausage. Having it with potatoes made it taste like a morning combination of Sausage and Hash browns. But the Beer drowned it down good. Now that I had my piece of Helsinki and a good lunch I decided to make my way up to the Helsinki Cathedral. Walking thru the mini streets I passed many antique stores and religious buildings. Ultimately reaching my destination I took a nice look at it. I needed to meet my Contiki tour at the hotel lobby at 6pm. It was about 5:15 and I felt that the long day was coming to an end. I took a taxi from the Cathedral and made my way back to the Cumulus Airport Hotel. Another 30 euros later I met with the group that I would be traveling with for the next 12 days.




No comments:

Post a Comment